Max Rutherston offers Japanese art in many forms. While the emphasis is on netsuke, the gallery endeavours at all times to have interesting holdings of inro and other sagemono, pipe cases and tonkotsu, lacquer, ceramics, sculpture and samurai accoutrements, as well as selected Meiji period works of art
A French Collection
The collection in its present form comprises 143 wood and 112 ivory pieces. It will be evident
that I am not offering all of them here. Some will appear in two sales in the spring and
early summer, first at Zacke, then at de Baecque in Paris.
The first acquisitions were made
in 1997, the last in 2014. As the collector and I met in 2004, I am proud to have had a part
in the majority of purchases over the last 10 years of activity, which includes many of the
best netsuke in the collection.
In its early stages, the collection was mixed as to material and
subject, with a lot of human subjects. The first netsuke bought with my input was the ivory
snake attributed to Okatomo, after which animal subjects emerged as a distinct focus, with
a growing attraction to Nagoya wood carvings, rats finally dominating.
I think you will find
that there are some stunning examples here, but there should also be sufficient variety to
satisfy most tastes.
Four to consider.
- Wood Mask Netsuke of Hannya by Naito Toyomasa2022-06-14T07:46:20+00:00
- Wood Netsuke of Gama Sennin by Naito Toyomasa2022-04-20T09:21:21+00:00
- Wood Netsuke of a Monkey by Naito Toyomasa2022-06-14T07:45:53+00:00
- **RESERVED** Wood Netsuke of a Seated Tiger, by Naito Toyomasa2022-06-07T19:11:56+00:00
Multi Lingual Assistance
Translate Our Website
Please use the Google Translate Tool to read our website content in your preferred language. To simplify this we have listed languages at the top of every page on this website.
**** Currently when you move to a new page the site will revert to English, please simply click on the Flag or language icon again****
Netsuke of Distinction We Have Sold.
- **SOLD** Stag Antler Obi-Hasami Netsuke Carved as a Monkey, circle of Ozaki Kokusai2022-03-21T15:01:14+00:00
- **SOLD** Ivory netsuke of a stag2021-01-25T18:07:32+00:00
- **SOLD** Wood Netsuke of a Rolling Stallion by Masanao of Kyoto2021-01-14T14:32:19+00:00
- **SOLD** Ivory Netsuke of a Cat by Kaigyokusai2021-02-09T09:55:22+00:00
Art Advisory Service
Although our principal activity is the buying and selling of netsuke and other Japanese works of art, we are also able to undertake valuations (appraisals) and offer advice on the disposal of individual works of art and collections across a wide spectrum of discipline.
International Netsuke Market
New in 2021 is our International Netsuke Market. The objects displayed on this page are being offered for sale by clients known to me, and have been accepted by me, after careful consideration, as worthy of being posted.